Sunday 22 November 2009

Not 10.30 in Busselton

It seems that I'm not going to make it to WA for the ironman after all. I thought my achilles tendon was fixed but then I had two days at work with five hours teaching each day: this meant five hours standing up and walking around, and by the end of day two the pain was back again and it was quite clear that I wasn't going to go. So that's that then.

I spent a week being grumpy and playing violent video games (Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer... oooooh it's good) but now I am resigned to my fate and am focussing on the future. It being winter and the ankle still being sore I am going to focus on cycling strength and swimming I for a couple of months. I have got a simple programme to make my biking better: three turbo sessions a week, one long intervals (e.g. 2x20 mins hard) one medium intervals (8-12 x 3-5 minutes very hard) and one nasty sprinty session (40 secs max effort, 20 secs easy, rinse and repeat 6-8 times, take a rest, repeat until you're sick over the handlebars). Add in actually riding outdoors when the weather permits (I got in 30km this morning before the heavens opened) and I should be biking well come the spring. Swimming: I'm just going to try to get two sessions a week in and just be consistent, which I think has always been my problem in the past.

What's next? I've signed up for a UK race next summer (The Outlaw in Nottingham) and I'm going to aim for that and a bunch of half-ironman races as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment