Friday 21 August 2009

Why not Barcelona?

Why have I decided to do IMWA when I am already entered for the Quelle Challenge Barcelona IM-distance race in October? One simple reason: I'm not going to be properly fit by the time Barcelona comes around. I have been very slowly recovering from a nasty bout of achilles tendonosis that I got in January, and have only reached the point where I am able to run more than once or twice a week recently. My longest run to date is 15km and I don't think I'll be able to get much above 21km until mid-September. I have also had my swim and bike training disrupted by a series of trips abroad over the summer - yes, I could run when I was in Greece last week, but for the two weeks teaching tropical ecology in the forest in Borneo I really couldn't do a lot. On Monday I'm off to Turin for a conference so that'll be another week off the bike and with lots of distractions to stop me running and swimming. My original plan was to go for it in Barcelona, but now the plan is to not taper too much, take it a bit easier in Barcelona, and then I have nine weeks to sharpen after the race. Might involve a lot of trainer sessions in October and November as the weather gets worse but c'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment